Public Works Assistant
Job Title: Public Works Assistant (FT)
Accountability: Reports to Public Works Director
Job Overview: The Public Works Assistant works to install,
repair/service, and maintain city assets, infrastructure, etc. as needed. The
successful candidate will be flexible/adaptable, have strong technical
aptitude, outstanding customer service skills, effective critical thinking and problem-solving
skills, the ability to determine the proper balance of attention to detail and
urgency of completion for varying situations, and demonstrated high quality
results of work performed. This position
contributes to the overall success of the city of Oakville’s operations.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Install, repair, and maintain water works
components of the City of Oakville public water system.
- Walk through water system, read water meters,
& use handheld device to document water use.
- Install, repair, and maintain components of city
streets, right of ways, signs, and pavement/curb markings.
- Maintain parks and cemeteries (including opening
and closing graves).
- Maintain city-owned buildings/facilities.
- Repair and maintain vehicles, equipment, and
- Operate heavy equipment such as backhoe/loader and
5-yard dump truck.
- Use power equipment and hand tools in a wide range of applications.
- Respond to requests from citizens, callouts for
failed components and unexpected work as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must pass pre-employment Drug and Alcohol
screening and adhere to Drug and Alcohol Policy.
- Professionalism and strong communications skills.
- Able to frequently bend, squat, dig, rake, and
lift and carry 75 pounds.
- Able to work outdoors or indoors in all types of
weather and conditions.
- Must have reliable method of reporting to work
and be punctual.
- Must be able to easily adapt to change and
switch from task to task as priorities shift.
- Able to work on your own or as part of a team,
accept and follow direction, and comply with laws, regulations, ordinances, and
Preferred Qualifications (not required):
- Water Distribution Manager Certification
- Cross Connection Control Specialist
- Water Distribution experience.
- Heavy equipment and power equipment experience.
This FT position is open until filled. To be considered for
the position mail resumes to P.O. Box D, Oakville WA 98568 or email resumes to email@example.com and
firstname.lastname@example.org. Equal opportunity Employer. Oakville is a
drug free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen is mandatory. Union position represented by Teamsters.